Position Title: Regional HR Director for CWS Africa
Division : Programs
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 11
Salary: Commensurate to experience
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster.
The Senior Regional HR Advisor will lead and facilitate the development of a highly effective, strategic HR function in all CWS Africa country offices that ensures the organization has the structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on program goals and effectively serve its clients. The individual will advise each CWS Africa country office on the establishment of effective HR systems and will work closely with the HR Director for RSC Africa. They will also lead senior-level initiatives related to HR on behalf of CWS Africa, in coordination with Africa regional and country-level leadership and CWS Headquarters, including conducting periodic market based, country level peer compensation reviews and recommend changes to existing compensation plans for each CWS Africa country office; the implementation of CWS global compensation policies in Africa (including the development and introduction of nimble salary scales and compensation practices that recognize performance, longevity, experience and skills); the development of a more robust training and mentorship program for CWS Africa supervisors; the design and implementation of merit based performance management and performance evaluation system; and the transition to a new Human Resources Information System (HRIS) in 2023.
The candidate will serve as advisor and counselor to maximize staffing resources and performance, ensure efficiency of work processes, and contain institutional risk. The Senior Regional HR Advisor will model the organizational values of CWS and will support colleagues to understand and live these values.
- Lead the transition of HR management from regional/embedded within the RSC Africa Nairobi office to CWS country offices.
- Work with each CWS country office to develop a transition plan with clear timelines and benchmarks, and work with Regional Representative for Africa to monitor the implementation of these plans.
- Develop and implement regional HR procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools (to include country Employee Handbooks), when needed, in coordination with CWS HQ and the Regional Representative for Africa.
- Bring transformative insight to advise country offices to effectively integrate CWS’ Relief, Development, and Protection (RDP) and Resettlement Support Center (RSC) programs’ HR needs into their country office operations.
- Liaise regularly with CWS Headquarters to advance CWS-wide HR projects of strategic importance to CWS Africa, which enable RSC and country office HR teams to succeed, including:
- The development and implementation of a nimble and effective salary structure that recognizes staff skills, experience, performance, and tenure with the organization.
- The development and implementation of a supervisory/management training program for supervisors across CWS Africa.
- The transition of CWS’ Ensure compliance and adherence to CWS HR policies and procedures, through guidance and support to Managers and Line Managers at country and sub – office level
- Ensure consistent communication at regional level to facilitate participatory decision-making processes.
- Support the development of internal compliance reporting for HR departments at the regional and country-office levels.
- Plans and executes regular process reviews for HR functions Africa-wide.
- Liaises with CWS Headquarters, Regional Governance Advisor, RSC HR Director, Country Representatives, and other HR staff to develop and monitor the systems needed to effectively manage international staff in each country in which CWS operates at all stages, from the development of Job Descriptions and recruitment through probation, orientation, performance appraisal and performance counseling, promotion and eventual separation.
- In close collaboration with the Regional Security Advisor, advise CWS Africa leadership on Duty of Care of all CWS staff in the region.
- Support hiring for key HR leadership roles in CWS Africa, including key national staff.
- Provide coverage for key HR leadership roles in CWS Africa in case of extended absences or transitions.
- Ten (10) years management experience in an International NGO in a similar capacity.
- Twenty (20) years HR Management experience in progressively advanced roles.
- Proven experience working for global organizations; with a combination of experience in an overseas capacity and in a leadership capacity at HQ.
- Proven experience working in an HR management capacity with large and complex multi-cultural, multi-country teams funded by the US Government.
- Knowledge and proven experience with multiple non-western national labor laws and customs is required, with Kenyan experience preferred.
- Experience with large scale social and economic development and humanitarian response programs. US refugee resettlement preferred.
- Proven experience in adapting to, working with and excelling at using new technologies in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven experience with implementing new HRIS.
- Thorough knowledge and comprehensive understanding of U.S. and multiple non-western Labor Law and retirement benefits rules and regulations required, with Kenyan knowledge preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the following: design and implementation of merit based performance management and performance evaluation systems; comprehensive national level market based compensation research, analysis and roll out of compensation packages for national and international staff; development and implementation of Supervisory Training programs at various management levels; design and implementation of tailored salary scales for large and complex multi-country operations.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills,
- Computer literacy with a strong emphasis on Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Ability to manage and leverage organizational culture change.
- Work and make decisions independently and contribute to overall operations at management levels.
- Exercise good judgment and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems in the field.
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes.
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records.
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail.
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa.
- Be flexible with changing of daily duties as needed.
Education & Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related area with post graduate qualification/certification in Human Resource Management
Master’s degree, in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Organizational Development, or a similar field. An additional 5 year’s overseas experience will be accepted in lieu of master’s degree
- Strong English communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is required for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions and have a high degree of flexibility.
- Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references, and an educational criminal check is required before the start of employment for applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Internationals – International applicants must be legally eligible to work and obtain a work permit in Kenya [TT1], and must comply with legal requirements surrounding providing documentation for all previous travel within or to Kenya
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental:Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- The US Embassy rates Kenya as both HIGH in crime and HIGH in terrorism. Incumbents should fully understand the insecurities present within Kenya and the region.
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location.
CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Please note this position requires a candidate with US experience.
How to apply
Please share a written response about the followings:
- Do you have ten years’ experience years management experience in an International NGO and Twenty years HR Management experience in progressively advanced roles?
- Do you have proven experience working for global organizations, with a combination of experience in an overseas capacity and in a leadership capacity at HQ?
- Do you have experience working with US Government funds, with responsibility for reporting in line with US Government funding rules and regulations.
- Do you have proven experience working in an HR management capacity with large and complex multi-cultural, multi-country teams funded by the US Government.
- Do you have knowledge and proven experience with multiple non-western national labor laws and customs?
- Do you have experience with large scale social and economic development and humanitarian response programs basically US refugee resettlement?
- Do you have experience in adapting to, working with, and excelling at using new technologies in a fast-paced environment and experience with implementing new HRIS?
- Do you have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field or a four-year work experience overseas in lieu of a master’s degree?
Manager, Talent Acquisition and Recruitment
Church World Service (CWS)