The purpose of the Regional Head of Finance is to assume the overall responsibility for financial management in the region promoting innovation and learning, and a cost-conscious culture with a high focus on quality. The Regional Head of Finance has the overall responsibility for the strategic development of the Finance in the region including delivery of strategic analysis to NRCs regional management. In addition, the post holder should provide direction to country finance management in line with NRC HOs policies and initiatives in order to provide maximum support to the delivery of humanitarian assistance in the region.
- Accountable for adherence to all relevant NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Implement the global finance initiatives/tools/system in the region
- Develop and implement specific financial procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools in the region including forecasts.
- Ensure control mechanisms in finance in NRC operations in the region
- Provide regional level input and contributions to new global Finance initiatives and considering cross-regional implications of changes to policy and practice.
Financial Leadership and Management:
- Contribute to the development of the multi-year strategic and financial plans and being accountable for ensuring and monitoring delivery against the financial plans through targeted financial analytical review and high accuracy in forecasts.
- Manage the regional office budget, providing accounting, payroll, grant management and financial management support to the regional team.
- Ensure that cost recoveries from country offices and hosting fees are secured and booked on monthly basis.
- Ensure integrity of the accounts of the countries within the region. Make sure that main policies and procedures are well understood; accountability is clear, balance sheet accounts are reconciled on monthly basis and deadlines for monthly closure are respected.
- Internal control – ensuring that funds are used as intended. Accountable for control of assets and liabilities, ensuring costs are accurately charged against budgets
- Provide decision support to the Regional Director and Regional Management Team based on accurate financial analysis: Forecasts, Spending rates, Master budget monitoring, audit findings etc…
- Champion of cost effectiveness in general ensuring that countries and regions are operating with a sustainable cost base.
- Contribute to development and implementation of global finance strategy. Helping develop the overall functional strategy for NRC, lead or participate in specific initiatives on behalf of the whole organisation and drive implementation of agreed strategies within the region and the organization as a whole
Staff development and mentorship:
- Ensure Country Finance Managers s and regional finance staff have the right finance skills and experience to carry out their roles.
- Manage the regional finance team, defining expectations, providing leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluating direct reports regularly.
- Be responsible for the recruitment and training of staff as appropriate and ensuring availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
- Manage the performance of all staff in the regional finance unit through staff development and performance management systems. Establishing results-based system and follow up.
General Professional Competencies
- 5 or more years in senior level of financial leadership, management and oversight experience in a large international NGO or organisation (preferably the humanitarian field)
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts, in order to develop a understanding of the particular demands facing accounting and financial management within an international context
- Relevant qualifications (Eg Accountancy, MBA)
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context related skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of the countries supported by the section is an asset
- Understanding of donor/funder financial accountability and reporting is an asset
- Sufficient technical expertise and credibility to act as the Team Leader
- Willingness to undertake significant amounts of travel to the country offices for training, support and capacity building purposes
For more information, here is the Detailed Job Description.
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya.
Type of Contract: 24 Months renewable based on funding, performance, and the need for position
Salary: Based upon the NRC grading Scale
This position is open to qualified candidates of all nationalities!
How to apply
Please Click Here to Apply!