Regional Advocacy and Outreach Officer
Job Title: Regional Advocacy Officer – Africa
Duration: Renewable 1 year
Starting date: 1st August 2021
Direct line manager: Africa Regional Director
Technical referent: GT Advocacy and Outreach Coordinator – for global AO support; Africa Regional Director and Country Directors for local and regional AO support
About Protection International (PI)
Protection International (PI) is an international not-for-profit organisation registered in Belgium with regional offices in Africa and Mesoamerica, and presences in Thailand, Indonesia, Kenya, DR Congo, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras and Belgium.
PI stands for the right to defend rights and for freedom from attacks to those who defend them. In many parts of the world, the defence of human rights evokes pressure, threats and attacks from state and non-state actors. PI works with local human rights movements to develop strategies and programmes that prevent and counter such pressure. It researches protection strategies and security management tools that protect human rights defenders, and shares its expertise in this area with people at risk due to their human rights work. PI tailors its approach to each context and profile of defenders we support.
Main Job Objective
The Regional Advocacy and Outreach Officer is a key member of PI Africa Hub team (PIA), charged with implementing PI’s regional advocacy strategy for the protection of African human rights defenders (HRDs). S/he will strategically position PI within key advocacy and outreach settings; will engage in initiatives around the protection of African human rights defenders; and will raise PIA’s profile locally, regionally and internationally. As a member of the PIA team, s/he will develop and oversee advocacy initiatives at the regional level and work closely with country programs across the region to provide targeted support in developing local advocacy, outreach & policy solutions and building the capacity of country program teams to advocate on priority issues. The Regional Advocacy and Outreach Officer works closely and collaboratively with these internal stakeholders as well as with a broad range of external stakeholders. S/he will develop appropriate, coherent and compelling messaging with the aim of influencing the policies and practices of key actors, enhancing the impact and increasing the coverage of PI’s work.
S/he reports to the Africa Regional Director and works closely with the Global Advocacy & Outreach Team to inform and support PI´s advocacy and outreach initiatives at the international level.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the development and implementation of PIA´s regional advocacy strategy – including management of annual work-plans and budgets – and ensure timely revisions as the context evolve
- Ensure that PIA´s countries priorities are integrated into the regional advocacy strategy documents and plans
- Work closely with advocacy, communications and program staff in the region and Global Team, sharing the updates of PIA´s advocacy strategy implementation and other relevant information
- Closely monitor policy developments for the protection of African HRDs and the RDHR, and ensure relevant information is disseminated to colleagues throughout PI
- When relevant and opportune, engage in national and regional fora by contributing PIA’s advocacy position and messaging on the protection of African HRDs and the RDHR to key stakeholders
- Identify and initiate relevant opportunities for PIA to collaborate with other organisations to contribute towards regional and global advocacy priorities
- Assist in Managing qualitative research projects within the region to ensure that advocacy priorities are shaped by findings
- Support Protection officers to recognise the link between their programs and their relevance in national, regional and global advocacy initiatives
- Draft advocacy documents outlining areas for improvement in PIA advocacy, propose practical amendments in advocacy processes and assist in developing programs with relevant advocacy interventions in the region.
- Develop public and private advocacy and outreach materials relevant for priority advocacy issues in the region, for example statements, open letters, press releases, policy briefs, submissions to key policy reports, etc.
- Stay up to speed on the latest developments related to protection of HRDs at regional and international mechanisms including the AU, ACHPR, ECOWAS, UN, EU levels and others, and ensure effective influencing of African and international actors.
- Maintain good working knowledge of HRD policies and the protection environment for HRDs in the region.
- Be up to date on advocacy and outreach related procedures and programs carried out by partner organizations in the region.
- Deliver training sessions and participate in capacity-building on effective advocacy fo HRDsrs in the region, as well as with PIA staff members and partners
- Proactively and powerfully represent PIA in external fora and engage with external partners.
- Develop external communication materials which are relevant for a regional audience – e.g. draft op-eds, regular inputs for PIA´s social networks and webpage, etc. When relevant, contribute to PI´s outreach efforts and campaigns, as well as internal communications (e.g., annual report).
- To finish administrative tasks linked to the position.
- To communicate regularly with the Regional Hub Director & Global Team.
- To promote information-sharing within the organization on all issues affecting Human Rights Defenders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in a relevant domain like Law, Psychology, Social Sciences or related studies is required
- Preferred Masters’ degree upon Human Rights
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with human rights organisations and working with HRDs at risk
- Preferred experience in an international working environment
- Proven record of accomplishment in multilateral advocacy at global and/or regional level on human rights-related issues
- Solid experience in conceiving and leading advocacy, policy, campaigning and communication strategies
- Proven track record in having established significant relationships with keyinstitutions, decision-making actors and allied organisations
- A passion and demonstrable commitment to human-rights, gender equality and inclusion, as well as the role of human rights defenders as agents of change
- Preferred solid understanding of HRD protection mechanisms
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interest in the field of human rights and the protection of HRDs
- Excellent knowledge of the international human rights system as well as African regional and national mechanisms for the protection of human rights defenders
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to influence decision-making actors and network effectively
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a very culturally diverse team
- Ability to work autonomously after initial training and guidance
- Sense of priorities and responsibilities
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required
- Good knowledge of French is an asset
How to Apply
- If you meet the above skills requirements and are interested in applying for this position, please
- Send your CV and cover letter, in English, by 14th July 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org , mentioning Regional A&O Officer in the subject line.
- Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. Maria_Smith_CV.doc.
- Submit names and contact details of three references together with your application. Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process.