Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, natural or non-natural disasters or persons excluded from access to care health. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
MSF France has had a significance presence in Kenya since 1996. In Mathare Lavender House Clinic, MSF runs a 24-hour SGBV Clinic for victims of sexual and gender-based violence and an emergency program which provides pre-hospital care and trauma/medical stabilization. We have a clinic in Dandora offering youth friendly services to those between the ages of 10 to 24 years. All our services are free including a toll-free hotline.
Objective of the Position:
Coordinate and control the operation of vehicles and drivers in one location according to traffic regulations and MSF security rules, utilize and maintain VHF radios, and ensure that the team of drivers perform properly their duties to ensure an adequate, efficient, and safe transport of goods and people.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Fleet Management and Supervision
- Coordinate the team of drivers, ensuring their compliance with all rules and safety regulations, including the maintenance and service (based on MSF standards) of their assigned vehicles.
- Will be required to perform the duties of a driver when called upon by your line Manager.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of vehicles
- Using the dedicated software for maintenance management, coordinate with the Join Mechanics Workshop (JMW) to ensure bi-weekly checks, routine services, and any other body work required is done in a timely fashion. In addition, submit quarterly requests to the Supply Supervisor for consumables for vehicles (e.g., inner tire tubes), which are kept on site in Mathare.
- Report any problems with the vehicles (mechanical, accidents, etc) to your supervisor, as well as prepare weekly reports (Weekly Fleet Follow Up) on services, spare parts, and anything else relevant to each vehicle.
- Manage vehicle bookings and movements
- With Log Supervisor (Base), schedule vehicle movement for the next week by the previous Friday, based on bookings and vehicle availability.
- Every Morning, update vehicle schedule whiteboard of movements in the Mathare office
- Monitor vehicle movement while communicating with each driver through VHF radio/mobile phone.
- Re-schedule vehicle movement to meet unplanned requirements.
- Use the WebZon or ZonMax software to track all vehicles.
- Radio Operation
- Operate and ensure basic maintenance of the VHF and HF radios in order to ensure quality and confidential radio communications for the operational needs of the mission/projects, in accordance with the MSF security policy and rules.
- Perform 3x daily (morning, afternoon, and evening) check-ins (departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points) with all vehicles, recording the check in information into the log books. During times of high security, all movements will require manual recording.
- Report on any aspects that threatens or favours the program
- Abide by the MSF Staff regulations and MSF charter
- Maintain confidentiality
- Essential literacy required, driving license required, and Fleet Management Certificate preferred
- Minimum 2 years previous experience as a driver.
- Valid Driving license.
- Leadership and team management experience required
- Experience with 4×4 vehicles and difficult terrian preferred
- Experience driving and/ or coordinating emergency vehicles will be an advantage.
- Experience in fleet management desirable
- Mission language and local language essential.
- Knowledge of basic mechanics is compulsory.
- Strong Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook skills required.
- Working knowledge of VHF radios preferred
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential
- Good vision essential
- Availability to travel and stay outside base overnight
- Stress Management.
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate).
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject line, “Head Driver”, to Email: email@example.com