HIAS seeks a Fundraising Manager, Africa to support HIAS’ programs in Africa to help diversify funding sources, networks and partnerships while consolidating and retaining present donors. The incumbent will take lead in the writing, review and submission of high-quality concept notes, proposals and reports for HIAS’ operations in Africa. The position will be required to build, develop, manage and sustain relationships with government, private and corporate funders and UN agencies, while expanding HIAS’ regional networks.
The Fundraising Manager, Africa will also be engaged in the development of partnerships with foundations and private fundraising campaigns to support HIAS’ Emergency Response programs in Chad and Kenya. The incumbent will support in strategically shaping and growing HIAS’ operations in other countries in Africa, subsequently increasing their oversight scope and region. This position reports to the Deputy Regional Director, Africa & Eurasia and works in collaboration with HIAS’ Institutional Development team and the Country Directors for HIAS’ programs in Africa.
Note, this is a full-time, temporary position that starts ASAP and ends 12 months later, with possible extension. This position is based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our offices in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin). This position can also be based at our office in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Designs and implements creative and comprehensive outreach, solicitation and management strategies for new and prospective donors in Africa.
- In coordination with the Institutional Development department, conducts research to identify new funding opportunities and develop fundraising strategies in line with the programmatic needs for the region.
- Coordinates and supports the development of high-quality proposals for new initiatives and for multi-year funding for country programs that may require implementation of long-term projects.
- Manages the development of calls for applications to secure funding from new donors through coordinating preparation of letters of interest, concept notes and proposals.
- Ensures a high-quality grants management cycle; in coordination with the Budget & Fiscal Compliance (BFC) team at HQ, oversees the efficiency, quality and smooth running of the entire grants management cycle, harmonizing approaches and ensuring adequate feedback is provided for the continued development of grants function.
- In coordination with the BFC team at HQ, advises country offices on donor-related issues/trends and delivers trainings on donor rules.
- Works closely with country program and finance teams on project design, development of consistency and compelling cases for funding in adherence with donor/HIAS guidelines.
- Develops materials for regular communication with funders and prospects, and as requested by other departments.
- Regularly interfaces with different departments at HIAS to ensure consistency and coordination throughout proposal writing and submission processes.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of HIAS’ internal grant management systems.
NETWORKING, PARTNERSHIPS & COORDINATION
- Cultivates and deepens relationships with public and private donors and other major funding prospects to diversify HIAS revenue streams in Africa.
- Represents HIAS at donor and other funding forums at the regional and country office level.
- Participates in outreach and in-person meetings with new and potential donors to increase the profile of HIAS programs and its funding portfolio.
- Maintains familiarity of specific financial and in-kind opportunity trends within donor, corporate and individual funding mechanisms that align with HIAS’ priorities.
- Builds and grows HIAS’ network of relationships that support program-related development opportunities with new donors.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences, International Development or related field required; related graduate degree preferred.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience in fundraising, program design, development and management in the humanitarian sector, preferably within refugee protection.
- English and French fluency are required.
- Relevant project management experience in the humanitarian sector and experience working with humanitarian and development donors.
- Skills and experience in report and proposal writing.
- Persistent and firm in the commitment to strengthen quality, ensure compliance and manage risk.
- Strong analytical skills (data and financial).
- A team player, with strong communication, coordination and interpersonal skills; aware of the importance of being service-minded in support to the field.
- Good understanding of Refugee Rights Framework and knowledge of donor rules and regulations.
- Ability to mediate in high-stress scenarios with competing interest; flexible and team-oriented, able to handle intense work pressure, tight deadlines and ad hoc demands.
- Flexibility, adaptability, ability and willingness to operate independently in remote and potentially hazardous environments for extended periods, involving travel up to 20% of the time within the area of operations.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
How to apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and application to our website: https://hias.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2141065&&cust_sort1=-1/&&nohd#job