Finance Officer – NGO JOBS
Finance Officer – NGO JOBS
Main objective of the role
To provide support to the CBM Kenya Country Office operations in maintaining financial, accounting and administrative services related to CBM’s work with partners in Kenya. The incumbent ensures consistency in management of financial resources with organisation’s policies, procedures; identifies operational inefficiencies that affect the integrity of resource management and proactively seeks ways to mitigate them.
We are looking for someone who will:
· Monitoring, quality control and risk management of the project idea process.
· Support in budget/cost plan development in line with programme design.
· Mentorship/inducting partners on; budget development and review; compile budget summaries; Uploading approved budgets into NAVISION; making necessary revisions as maybe required; providing budget Notifications to Program Team for sharing with partners.
· Initiating project number generation and updating of the project and partner card details to facilitate contract document generation.
· Provide induction to partners on project development templates, timelines and requirements.
· Review project set up in the system to ensure that all relevant information, documents and status updates are done in the partner and project cards.
· Request and processes transfer of funds to implementing partners.
· Review and upload final version of reports and relevant project documents on Share point in a timely manner as per CBM reporting schedule.
· Maintain status of all Program Progress Reports (PPRs) and other financial reports received, reviewed and imported in NAV or shared as per CBM reporting schedule.
· Carry out project management system update with required/relevant documents and information.
· Review designated quarterly finance in comparison with narrative reports paying special attention to completeness, adherence to CBM format, support documentation and verify the forecast for the period against partner ability to spend the funds.
· In liaison with Program Team, prepare partner savings/unspent funds for approval before lapsing, re-allocation, re-designation and/or re-utilization.
· Track and monitor partner budget implementation rate (BIR) in relation to budget transfer rate (BTR) and ensure timely transfer of funds to partners.
· Continuously update and follow up on partner issues as identified during partner assessments, field monitoring, compliance visits, assessment reports and audits.
· Jointly with programme team conduct partner field visits perform tasks such as inducting partners on CBM finance requirements and procedures, spot checks on finance management, internal controls in place and progress on capacity improvement recommendations.
· Mentor/coach partners in internal control systems and processes to ensure that financial resources as used by partners are in compliance with CBM financial policies, standards and procedures, and with specific donor requirements and contracts.
· Review and reconcile partner Year End Closing Reports (YECRs) with PPR and audit report within given deadlines including follow up on issues raised in the management letter.
· Critically analyze partners’ financial reports for compliance against approved budgets; (e.g., PPR, CBM Project Financial Checklists, consolidated reports for consortia partners).
· In collaboration with the project officer prepare close out checklist ensuring that remaining funds and assets are transferred as per the CBM and donor specific requirements.
· In the absence of the Finance Officer -(General):
§ Support Country Office accounts management – (Global Accounting Solution/Business Central Voucher Management), Petty cash Processing, Travel claim Processing, Online Payments and generation and sharing of monthly Country Office budget monitoring reports.
§ Support in tracking and providing needed reports for Country Office budget transfer and implementation rates, on request.
· Maintain Country Office cashbooks.
· Maintain petty cash boxes for cash payments or refunds of petty cash, and travel claims and advances and in the absence of FO, prepare cash reconciliations for the cash verification exercise.
· Process imprest requests, ensuring the documents are correct, within agreed budget, and supported with required documentation before submitting for approval.
· Carryout regular invoicing, preparing online payments and follow-up on all debtors.
· Safekeeping of all cheque books, receipt books and cash vouchers.
· Respond to partner and staff inquiries, maintain good customer relations and solve problems within scope of work.
· Support Budget management by ensuring all partner expenditure is within approved and available budget.
· Stay current with all regulations, practices, tax laws, reporting requirements and industry trends, and advice the line manager of the same.
We are looking for someone who has:
· Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and Management, or Project management.
· Professional qualifications in accounting (CPA-K, ACCA, CIMA) is an added advantage.
· At least 5 year’s work experience in similar field, particularly with international NGOs or international development organization is preferred.
· Working knowledge of programme/budget cycle management, procedures, and donor requirements is an added advantage.
· Ability to maintain accounting systems which handle large amounts of information.
· Effective communication skills- verbal and written.
· An effective team player who is also able to work independently.
· Ability to integrate into a multi-cultural environment.
· Ability and willingness to learn, and to pass on information.
· Ability to take initiative, multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
· Willingness to adhere and commit to CBM’s Values and Child Protection Policy.