Job Title: Finance Officer (subject to funding)
Contract: Part-time (approx. 2.5 days per week) initial contract 3 months (renewable subject to performance and funding)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to: Finance Manager, Kenya & Somalia
- Supporting the Country Director and Finance Manager Kenya & Somalia to maintain the financial integrity of BBC Media Action’s operations in Kenya and ensuring full compliance with policies & procedures regarding cash, advances, banking and assets.
- Ensuring a fair selection of quality vendors and service providers, and fairness and transparency in the awarding of all contracts- including field service providers
- Assisting with audit preparation, implementation of audit recommendations and spot checks as appropriate.
- Review all payment documents for proper recording and accountability.
- Update Cash books in the accounting system in KES and USD for accuracy and completeness.
- Accurate recording of income and expenditure using accounting software.
- Collate cash forecasts to identify monthly funding requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Kenya law and regulations regarding taxation and payroll and ensure PIT (Personal income Tax) is processed before the due date.
- Undertaking other duties that, from time to time, the Country Director or the London finance team might request
1. Financial Accounting, cash & record keeping
- Update daily cash book and accounting system to ensure correct charging of expenditures to correct budget and project codes.
- Review payment vouchers prepared by Finance and admin assistant to ensure correct charge codes are applied and ensure the vouchers are fully supported with relevant documentation on procurement.
- Preparation of National staff payroll and ensure that all deductions are paid on time each month.
- Update National Social Security (NSSF) data and ensure accuracy of information.
- Ensure the End of Month Financial report and accounting system is updated, reconciled and sent to London on time each month.
- Preparation of Monthly cash and Bank reconciliation.
- Manage cash in office and ensure safety and security procedures are adhered to on cash in transit; make cash requests as needed.
- Monitor advances and ensure accountability is prepared within the period per policy.
- Ensure proper filing and security of accounting information and vouchers.
2. Donor Contract Management
- Prepare Kenya donor reports and Invoices for sign-off by Finance Manager, Kenya & Somalia before submission to donors.
- Ensure compliance with all financial donor reporting requirements in Kenya. This should include general support to project staff in the use of allocated budget flexibly.
- Ensuring that expenditure in Kenya is incurred and reported in line with donor budgets and agreements.
- Ensure that project files for Kenya projects are complete with relevant documentation, e.g. donor proposals, contracts, amendments, income documentation (income requests, invoices and payments), Interim and Final Narrative and Financial Reports, and all communications between donors and BBC Media Action.
- Ensure that donor financial reports, together with supporting documents (assets, stock sheets and staff lists) submitted to the Finance Manager, Kenya & Somalia, are of the expected standards and in accordance with donor regulations.
- Ensure proper recording of assets purchased in Kenya with donor funds to facilitate proper reporting.
- Provide support to project staff on requirements and formats of different donors.
- Training and developing staff in donor regulations, policies and procedures, as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Finance and Administration assistant in Kenya office.
3. Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting with at least CPA III level
- 3 years of experience in accounting and budgeting in an INGO or UN agency
- Good knowledge of English
- Working knowledge of an integrated accounting software.
- Solid knowledge of various donor regulations
4. Key Relationships/Contacts
- Finance Manager, Kenya & Somalia
- Country Director
- Program staff based in Nairobi.
- Partner Organisations
- Financial Institutions
5. Direct Reports
- Finance Manager, Kenya & Somalia
- Working Conditions
- The position is based in Nairobi
- Core Values and Critical Competencies
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Team player
- Proactive and reliable
- Planning and organisation skills
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Extremely high personal integrity, confidentiality and honesty.
- Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct. Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy
How to apply
Submit application by email to email@example.com by 20th December 202