DESIGN TEACHER STILL I RISE NGO
- Department: Education
- Area: Education
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Direct Supervisor: School Principal
- **Contract:**Temporary, Renewable
- Status: Full Time
- Compensation: 40.000,00 KES / PCM
Still I Rise is an international NGO with a humanitarian mission to provide protection and quality education to refugee and underprivileged youth. Our flagship institution is our International School in Mathare, Nairobi. Here, we are passionately engaged in one of the world’s most ambitious, unique and exciting educational projects: to offer the very highest quality of schooling experience to some of the most disadvantaged children in East Africa.
We are now seeking a Design teacher to join our team. You will inspire and educate children in Design classes which follow the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) programme. Please visit the following page if you are unfamiliar with this subject of the programme. https://www.ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/curriculum/design/
You will also have the opportunity to complement those classes with a modest number of introductory ICT classes. We do not require qualifications or experience in ICT teaching, but you must demonstrate interest and competence in everyday computer usage.
Still I Rise invests heavily in its teachers. You join with a clear pathway of growth and promotion. We offer extensive professional development in a wide range of areas as well as full sponsorship of your participation in official IB training workshops.
We therefore hire educators who demonstrate genuine care for each child, a hunger to offer them the best, and an infectious passion for the curricular and extracurricular activities they lead.
If you are a qualified mathematics teacher and this sounds like a challenge which suits you, we warmly invite you to apply!
- Plan, deliver and facilitate dynamic, active, and creative Design lessons for diverse classes of students aged 10-15. Create enhanced opportunities for real-life applications of concepts using available resources and project based learning.
- Plan and deliver introductory ICT classes on a weekly basis.
- Review and monitor the progress of all students and identify their individual learning needs. Differentiate instruction to meet those needs of the students, providing extra support to those students who are below grade level.
- Sensitively and appropriately provide pastoral care to our students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Handle urgent situations with consummate professionalism and in accordance with our Discipline Policy and Safeguarding Policy, utilising the school’s support network as necessary.
- Conduct regular formative and summative assessments, recording and reporting grades and performance.
- Attend and participate in regular professional development activities.
- Help our school excel with your participation and leadership in community engagement, competitions, school trips and other dynamic activities.
- Contribute to the development and leadership of our extracurricular programmes.
- Under the supervision of the School Principals and Education Department provide feedback on quality and wellbeing to ensure programmes are designed, implemented, monitored, and evaluated to maximise positive impact on vulnerable children.
- Native or proficient knowledge of the English language written and oral;
- Kenyan nationality;
- Teaching Service Commission (TSC) Number;
- Academic or Professional Certificates;
- Completion of CRB/Background check;
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Science, ICT, Education or related field or equivalent training and experience;
- At least one year’s teaching experience;
- Practised belief that any child can learn and enjoy mathematics;
- Competent ICT skills;
- Enthusiasm for leading occasional basic Physical Education (fitness and sport) classes;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills;
- Ability to mentor students on a daily basis;
- Resilience in a challenging and changing environment;
- The curiosity and willingness to develop and practice modern teaching techniques;
- Determined team player.
- Experience teaching low-achieving students
- Experience working with refugee populations
- Experience working with vulnerable people
- Experience in Child Safeguarding and Protection
How to apply
Candidates are invited to submit their application including their CV, cover letter and TSC Number by emailing:
firstname.lastname@example.org and specifying the subject “DESIGN TEACHER”.
Please kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in Still I Rise.