NGO jobs in Kenya
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Kenya Primary Literacy Program (USAID KPLP) is a five-year initiative that supports the Kenyan Ministry of Education to deliver interventions at scale as well as pilot and expand innovations that address the language and literacy needs of primary grade learners while building more inclusive, accountable, and resilient education institutions and systems.
USAID KPLP has three broad objectives:
1. Improving education services and student learning outcomes, including for vulnerable populations;
2. Strengthening education institutions and systems to become more accountable, self-sustaining, and resilient; and
3. Empowering local youth organizations to strengthen and sustain community and family support for student learning and wellbeing.
The Dashboard Specialist will play a crucial role in the USAID Kenya Primary Literacy Program (KPLP) by developing comprehensive data analytics, impact reports, and interactive dashboards in accordance with counterpart and EDC standards. This individual will collaborate with multiple teams to ensure the effective presentation and analysis of project data, contributing significantly to the monitoring and evaluation of the program’s impact. This position requires a candidate who is collaborative, detail-oriented, analytical, and skilled in communicating complex data concepts in a clear and understandable manner. The Dashboard Specialist will report to the MEL Specialist and will be based in Nairobi.
The Dashboard Specialist’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with government counterparts and various teams to design and implement data models, shared datasets, and interactive dashboards, primarily using Power BI, ensuring optimization for usability, performance, flexibility, and standardization.
- Develop and maintain advanced Power BI reports and dashboards, incorporating best practices in data visualization and user experience design.
- Write complex Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) and SQL scripts for detailed project reporting and analysis, enhancing the depth and accuracy of data insights.
- Assist in the creation of data analytics and impact measures for ongoing performance monitoring, including the analysis of data to provide meaningful insights and real-time reporting.
- Train and provide oversight to personnel in data modeling, analytics, reporting, and analysis; conduct workshops and training sessions to enhance team capabilities in these areas.
- Facilitate meetings and coordinate collaborative efforts with internal and external teams, ensuring alignment and efficiency in data-related activities.
- Mentor and guide new team members in best practices for dashboard creation and data utilization, fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Prepare data and information for project quarterly and annual reports, and other data as required.
The candidate for the position of Dashboard Specialist shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- 6 to 7 years of progressively responsible and directly relevant experience required.
- Extensive experience in database management and SQL, with proficiency in writing complex queries and understanding relational database technologies.
- Proven expertise in business intelligence and data visualization, with a strong background in the development, design, configuration, and implementation of solutions based on Power BI.
- Advanced skills in data modeling, analytics, report and dashboard creation, including familiarity with data visualization tools and integration with external tools (Excel, SQL, R, Tabular Editor, DAX Studio).
- Proficiency in Power Query in both Excel and Power BI.
- Knowledge of monitoring, evaluation, and research data collection processes and tools, including experience with data reviews, data quality assessments (DQAs) and KPI performance measuring.
- Familiarity with Power BI maps, GIS technologies, and geospatial data analysis.
- A Power BI Data Analyst Certificate is preferred.
- Prior experience working in a multicultural or international environment is preferred.
Fluency in English is required.
Applicants must be Kenyan nationals or hold current work authorization.
How to Apply
Job closing date: February 11, 2024
To apply, Applicants are encouraged to visit the Careers Page at: https://go.edc.org/EDCKenyaJobs
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government..