Job title: Communications Officer
About us: Global nonprofit making surgery and anaesthesia safer worldwide
Reporting to: Director of Communications
Key relationships: internal: communications and marketing team, program and clinical team, development team; external: partner organisations and clinicians, and hospitals
Location: Remote (encourage applications from East or Southern Africa)
Lifebox is a global nonprofit founded to tackle the crisis of unsafe surgery. By investing in tools, training, and partnerships, we address critical gaps in surgical systems to make surgery and anaesthesia safer worldwide. Lifebox’s work focuses on three core areas: anaesthesia safety, surgical teamwork, and reducing surgical infection. Since 2011, Lifebox has worked in over 116 countries, trained more than 12,000 healthcare providers, and made 181 million surgeries safer. www.lifebox.org
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Requires a dynamic individual seeking to build their communication skills as a member of a global surgery organisation focused on impact. You will have the opportunity to shape and contribute to all aspects of the global Lifebox communications strategy, from content development and campaign creation, to events planning. This is an ideal position for a driven communications professional seeking to be part of a small, fast-paced international team with opportunities to gain experience and responsibility. As part of the global Lifebox communications team reporting directly to the Director of Communications, this role will work closely with staff across Lifebox’s global network, including program and clinical team members and partners. Opportunities for regional and international travel.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In close collaboration with Lifebox communications and marketing team and key partners, the Communications Officer will communicate the objectives and impact of Lifebox and its key partners through the creation and dissemination of communications materials tailored for specific platforms and targeted audiences.
- Participate in the development, writing, editing, and proofreading of a wide variety of communication materials
- Develop ideas, research, and create content (stories, interviews, reports, photo essays, communications campaigns etc.) for Lifebox platforms (e.g. website, social media) and key partners;
- Work closely with program and clinical team members turning programmatic and clinical updates into engaging communications for key Lifebox platforms and targeted audiences
- Develop and oversee Lifebox presence at key professional conferences and events, both online and in-person
- Work closely with Lifebox team members to disseminate information to internal constituencies for effective internal communications;
- Manage relevant vendor relations in accordance with Lifebox policies and procedures.
- Participate as an active member of the Lifebox Communications team, including attending planning meetings and creative sessions, contributing ideas and suggestions, and working to support global team collaboration.
- Three to five years’ relevant media relations experience, preferably in global health, with a track record of generating media coverage;
- relevant experience, preferably in global health
- Excellent written communications skills, with ability to write, edit, and proofread a broad range of communication materials for a variety of audiences;
- Ability to distil complex medical and scientific information into compelling stories and accessible materials for a variety of platforms and audiences;
- Strong ability to manage multiple initiatives and priorities at a time; and
- Excellent proficiency in English. Additional languages an asset, particularly French.
- Experience in content creation for social media messaging, web-optimization, and promotion.
- Knowledge of digital marketing analytics and search engine optimization
- Passion for and strong commitment to Lifebox’s work and goals;
- Flexible and comfortable with a fast-paced international work environment;
- Proactive, with a proven ability to take initiative;
- Ability to prioritise competing tasks; and
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally.
How to apply
To apply please email your CV and a cover letter as a single document explaining your motivation and how you are best suited for this position to email@example.com.
Please note the following:
Correspondence will only be entered with candidates who have been short-listed. If you have not received a reply within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Closing date: 30 June 2023
Lifebox is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity