Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, natural or non-natural disasters, or persons excluded from access to health care. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
MSF France Mathare project is looking to fill the position of a Clinical Officer. The successful candidate reports to the Medical Activity Manager.
MSF France has had a significant presence in Kenya since 1996. In Mathare Lavender House Clinic, MSF runs a 24-hour SGBV Clinic for victims of sexual and gender-based violence and an Emergency program that provides pre-hospital care and trauma/medical stabilization. We also have a clinic in Dandora offering youth-friendly services to those between the ages of 10 to 24 years. All our services are free including a toll-free hotline.
The objective of the Position:
Organizing and ensuring medical consultations to the target population providing treatment to patients within the scope of his/her medical competencies and referring them when appropriate, according to MSF protocols, procedures and the universal hygiene standards in order to guarantee quality and efficiency of the service provided.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the implementation and standardization of MSF clinical policies, tools, and hygiene protocols in order to minimize clinical risks and to granting quality of patient case management.
- Implement diagnosis, prescription and prevention procedures that fall under the scope of his/her competencies applying medical knowledge, asking appropriate questions to patients and following protocols in force as well as using laboratory services when necessary, in order to ensure a correct implementation of the medical treatments and to refer patients when appropriate.
- Carry out pre-hospital stabilization and trauma room treatment according to protocols in case of an emergency in order to reduce mortality rates and referral of patients when necessary
- Delegates and organize team during an emergency resuscitation in the emergency room.
- Ensure that the patients are triaged based on emergency medical coding system.
- Be conversant with the MSF Sexual Violence & Intimate Partner Violence (SV & IPV) Protocol and the processes of offering medicolegal support to survivors in the Kenyan context.
- Know, promote, and provide medical services to survivors of sexual and gender-based violence according to the MSF SGBV protocol
- Perform the role of shift clinical team lead with the support of the supervisor to ensure quality of care, IPC and commodity management.
- Promote and maintain confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records
- Record in individual patient’s card and registration books all medical activities (drugs prescribed, lab results, vaccination status, epidemiological activity, doses, etc) performed keeping data traceability in order to ensure patients treatment continuity.
- Participate in data collecting and reporting when required
- Know and implement Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE), i.e. keeping contact with all patients, providing them information regarding their health state and responding to their questions.
- To participate in any other project activities as will be required and provide input to the department.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Minimum of a diploma in Clinical Medicine from an accredited institution. Must have a valid practicing license from the Clinical Officers’ Council of Kenya
Desirable 2 years working experience. Previous experience in other NGO’s/MSF is a plus
Fluent in English and Swahili
Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service oriented. Good communication skills both verbal and written. Detail oriented and meticulous in all aspects of work. Ability to work independently as well as within a team. Ability to work in strenuous conditions with minimal supervision
Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment, Service, Stress Management
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF, and a PIN certificate).
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning the subject line “Clinical Officer” to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 29th June 2023. 9\\